Monday 9 September 2019

Europe trip part 8

Friday 30th August Today we drove to the Hallstatt salt mine called Salzwelten to see how it gets made and mined. We went up a really steep gondola then walked to the main building where we had to put on these funny suits on. They were like pyjamas and we looked like prisoners.

When we were ready, we walked 200m underground and came across a short wooden slide. We had to put our legs outside the 2 wooden rails and then we had to push ourselves down it, it was so much fun.

Then we watched a short video about the salt getting made. They used water to wash the rock - if the rock has iron in it, it will be red and a yellow rock means it has got magnesium in it. Once it is mined it gets flushed 40 kilometres down a pipe and goes to a salt factory and gets dried and then it turns white as our normal salt.

After the tour we went to keltenblitz (toboggan) on the Durnberg where the run goes for 2.2 km long. The chairlift took 15 minutes to get up the hill – the view was really nice. Connor set off first, then Iain, Dad, Michelle, me and then Mum. I was a bit nervous to start with but then I got brave a went really fast – I caught Michelle up as she was going quite slow. I loved it so dad and I went up again to have a race!







2 comments:

  1. They do look like pyjamas! Why did you have to wear them?

    It looks like you are up so high in your picture with you and your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So we could slide down the wooden slide faster and to not damge your cloths

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post