Saturday 21 September 2019

Europe trip part 16

Tuesday 10th September

We set of back to the city on the metro to visit one of Rome’s other major attractions, the Colosseum. This was a venue where ancient gladiators fought each other and with wild animals. This was entertainment in ancient Rome! Gladiators were much like today’s boxers. They only fought 3 or 4 times a year, they trained very hard between matches and they were very popular. The venue was so well designed that most of it is still standing now and the capacity of 80,000 people it held could leave the stadium in 12 minutes.

We took the bus for some more sightseeing of the city and had some nice lunch. I had some good pizza (again).

It was time to head home and we had an adventure driving to the supermarket in the crazy traffic as the Romans don’t appear to follow proper road rules about staying in their lanes or letting other drivers in or out!! Mum cooked a lovely dinner, then we started watching a sad movie about the Mauthausen concentration camp. It was a bit grim but it was what we saw and learnt when we were there. I went to bed and slept for 12 hours!

Wednesday 11th September

Today we had our first chill day in three weeks! I caught up on a few days of my holiday diary then Dad and I went in to the pool to do catches with the handball and to have a few games of Marco Polo. We were in for over 2 hours.

After that, I came in and finished the rest of my holiday diary, then we went for a walk in the neighbourhood (called Lazio) where we are staying. We had yummy spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and strawberries for dessert. It was nice just to stop for a day and chill out. Mum started packing later on as we are heading to Tuscany tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post