Saturday 14 September 2019

Europe trip part 15

Monday 9th September Today we went to see one of Rome’s highlights – The Sistine Chapel, which is in the Vatican City. This city state is inside Rome and is the home for the Pope and the Catholic church.

We had “skip the line tickets” so we quickly entered the Vatican museum - it was very busy! In the museum there were many things to see including beautiful sculptures, paintings and tapestries. I have never seen mum take so many photos! The ceilings in every room were magnificent – amazing how someone could paint the detail so beautifully.

We did an audio walking tour and learnt about the history of the church and the Popes. I didn’t know that at one time the papacy was based in France! There was a beautiful map room full of paintings of Italy all over the walls.

Inside the Sistine Chapel you weren’t allowed to take photos because it would damage the paintings. The ceiling of the chapel is famous for all the figures (over 300) painted by Michaelangelo, which took him nearly four years!

I also learnt that after a Pope dies, the cardinals come from all around the world to meet in the Chapel where they elect a new Pope. The new Pope has to get 67% of the votes (plus one). Once the Pope has been chosen, they burn some wood with special chemicals that make the smoke white, not black. Once the people outside see the white smoke they rush to Saint Peter’s square to see the new Pope who is introduced to the people.

After the Vatican museum, we walked into Saint Peter’s square where there was 2 fountains and the church was massive! To end the day, we had a yummy dinner at a restaurant not far from the Vatican. After that we had a crazy taxi ride across Rome back to the train station and then went home.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Max
    You seem to be having a great time on holiday, the places you have been sound so awesome.
    I like the look on your face in picture 3.
    I hope you are having an amazing time on vacation (you are so lucky)
    What happened on the taxi ride home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max
    It looks so cool where you are.
    Your face in the 3rd photo is quite funny.
    What else are you going to do on holiday.
    I wish i was there
    How much more longer are you there for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi max
    It is great hearing lots about your fantastic trip in Europe right now I bet it is the best seeing your family and being able to experience everything.
    What did you have for dinner ?
    what happened during the crazy taxi drive ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxi drive was crazy because he swerverd in and out of traffic and went on the wrong side of the road.

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post