Wednesday 30 October 2019

Europe trip part 39

Wednesday 24 October

 Today we did a tour of the tunnels at Vimy ridge, guided by one of the Canadian volunteers (a lady called Abigail), who come here to work and show tourists around for a few months every year. We went through a tunnel that took 950 Canadian soldiers directly into battle.

They were trying to win the battle to control the high ground on the ridge that was protected by the Germans. The ridge wasn’t far from the tunnel at all. The Canadian soldiers planned their attack for months and the battle started in April of 1917.

The underground tunnels we saw connected all the trenches and were used for communication but also to move soldiers into position. After that, we drove to Arras to do a tour of Carrier Wellington which is the Wellington tunnels dug under the town.

 It was dug out by 300 NZ miners, so an important part of NZ history. Exit 10 was one of the tunnels they had to use to go into battle and we saw this when we were under the ground. They also named some of the tunnels after places in New Zealand like, Blenheim, Dunedin, Christchurch and Auckland.















 Then we drove to Vimy again to look around the cemetery then back to tunnels to explore the German side. No man’s land, which sits between the two trenches was only 25m apart over a large crater!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post