Friday 21 May 2021

Suzanne Aubert

Suzanne Aubert

Suzanne Aubert was born in Lyon, France. 19 June 1835. Suzanne has got 3 brothers. When she was 2 years old, she fell through some ice from a pond. Underneath the icy water was some rocks below and she became crippled and partly blind. Because of this event and her disabled brother, Louis dying she then developed a sorrow for people who are disabled. 

When Suzanne was legally aloud to leave home at 25 she sailed to New Zealand to become a missionary for Bishop Pompallier. 

After working at a Maori boarding school, she left Auckland to work at the Marist Maori mission station in Hawkes Bay. After a month or two she was well known to Maori and Pakeha, friendship became a strategy for her mission. 

In 1874 Suzanne was setting her hopes high with her lifelong supporter Bishop Redwood. She left Hawkes Bay for Jerusalem, New Zealand to revive the catholic mission.

The Sisters Of Compassion is a religious order devoted to Mary founded in Jerusalem, New Zealand on the Whanganui River.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post